Thursday, January 28, 2010

The ice storm cometh


The last ice storm was just last year. That's a little too fresh in our memories for us to fully achieve an "it'll be fine" attitude. We must prepare! Many are stocking up on food, water and fuel. Parents are on standby to pick up their offspring early from school. The region as a whole is getting ready to hunker down until it's all over.

I, too, have a few items that must be achieved by 2:00 pm (approximate time of mass icing).

1. I must wash and straighten my hair. When the electricity goes out, I prefer not to be a fuzz-head. Those closest to me would concur.

2. I will finish laundry, run the dishwasher, and the vacuum. Essentially taking maximum advantage of my household appliances. I don't know when we'll use them next. The floor will get mighty crusty.

3. I must finish the scroll saw project that has made a home on the south wall of my living room. It's gonna be awesome!! Can't wait to show you when I'm done.

4. Rescue all important items from the car/garage. It's not going to be a cozy place for a few days. brrr.

5. Make a batch of bread. Sandwiches are an ice storm's best friend. Microwave popcorn? Not as helpful as I'd like.

6. Purchase cooking spray. How does one survive consecutive days of cooking on the Coleman grill without PAM? Last night was "waffle night". I discovered our supply of cooking spray had run dry. It wasn't pretty. Thankfully we had whip cream in a can...it covers a multitude of sins.

7. Let's see....no tv, no webkins, no pbskids.org......We're going to need playdough, batteries, markers, glitter, gluesticks, pipe cleaners, sedatives, juice boxes, library books, goldfish, oreos, chicken nuggets, nerf darts, ear plugs, padlocks, toilet paper, clorox wipes and something new and amazing that they've never seen before. Did I forget something?

8. Replenish goodie stash in the nightstand drawer. Long days of no power and prolonged creativity will require a reward at the end of the day. I'm thinking pistachios, marzipan and laffy taffy. It's all about variety.

Well, I could go on, but there is much to do and only 5 hours to go.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely! I love you! Your Awesome!
    I too am ready we bought essential groceries yesterday. and I made a trip to Hobby Lobby for some fabric to do a project! Yeah! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think number 8 should be number 1. Good luck in your preparations.
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete