Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Public service.

I once considered myself a musician. In the nerdy sense of the word, that is, a classical musician. I play the viola and the violin (just because it's pretty much a smaller version of the viola.)

I was a music major at Ricks (translation: BYU-Idaho) and then the big scary BYU-Provo. Which means that I spent uncountable hours practicing and pouring my every waking (and dreaming) moment into that viola. I used to even have a name for it which I thought was cute at the time, but now I can't even remember what the name was which tells me it wasn't as cute as I thought it was. I have a nagging feeling my roommates must have rolled their eyes about that whole issue. Ah...youth.

While I was very much immersed in music that was written and played in the past, I went for years (YEARS!) without listening to contemporary music. The problem with that is that now I am finally starting to form my tastes in the music the rest of the population is familiar with. Where do you start?

I'll tell you where.

So You Think You Can Dance!

Thank you, SYTYCD, for introducing me to a few recent faves:

'Gravity' by Sarah Bareilles which led me to Ingrid Michaelson (mm...Winter Song) which led me to a rediscovery of Peter Gabriel and his song 'The Book of Love'.

Black and Gold by Sam Sparro - an excellent song for cleaning the kitchen.

And there were a few good ones tonight which I haven't googled yet. (Did you love the Bobby McFerrin version of "Blackbird"?)

You are saving me from the brave act of moving my dial off of 94.9, the "safe place". Dang those kids and their newfangled music.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Maren! I love it! can you hold out and wait for me this week so we can watch together? I LOVE all the music too! Fabulous! So fun!

    ReplyDelete