Thursday, August 16, 2018

Cutting garden and mutant beans

I traded my cucumbers and green beans for a cutting garden this year. I tell ya...it was totally worth it. And I actually think if I plan a little better, I can manage both next year. I just need to use my bean tower for cucumbers (pole beans are gross) and then restrain myself to a 1x2 section of bush beans. If you're reading this, 2019 Maren, listen to me...no pole beans. Just don't.

So...instead of baby peppers, my yearly garden photos will be...flowers!

The early stages:



This is supposed to be the "tall side" of my cutting garden. It was zinnias, purple cosmos, bells of ireland and white cosmos. The purple cosmos really took over by August.


Deep purple gladiolas...gorgeous, but a little awkward to put in a vase.


Yellow gladiolas...they have a hard time growing strait up.


The zinnias have these adorable mini flowers in the center...a two-fer.


I never cease to be amazed at the gorgeous colors that come out of nature.


We had a bumper crop of basil and cherry tomatoes this year.


These Bells of Ireland almost got hidden entirely by the two cosmos...luckily I planted a few extra beets off to the side, so I spotted them when I was out picking a side dish for dinner.


And the funnest part...making free bouquets!


Anna putting together one with day lilies and zinnias:


One of my favorites!



These cosmos are so simple and fresh...love them!



Had to include a peace rose off of our bush, my dad's favorite.


And just to because I can't resist....yummy arugula crop!


Which turned into this...fun little pinwheel blossoms and the leaves only got spicier...


Oh, and an adorable tomato cluster on a volunteer plant that popped up in the middle of the asparagus:


Let's not forget the fun and disgusting asparagus beans...

very cool.
not tasty.


Can't wait to plant again next year. I have learning so much and I'm ready to make the most of the space!

No comments:

Post a Comment