Sunday, October 9, 2016

A week in October

I have very little complain about these days. The weather has cooled down and I feel human again. Why can't it be October all the time? I know there must be opposition in all things, but I think at the very most, it should be a 1:1 ratio of October to....anything else. How about October, then January. October then March. October and June. October and then August.....see what I mean? 

That's fair. 

I feel myself pre-mourning the passing of October. The end is coming soon! We've already used up 10 days!! Savor every cool breeze and whiff of wood-smoke! Hurry! Make soup!

Not that we've been wasting our time. We've been working hard at teaching Everly to go cross eyed.


You know we had another crazy hat day. We rocked the chicken and fish. Crazy hat day is among the more tolerable of "special days". We've carefully cultivated our box of hats for occasions such as these.


Laney fell over in one of the bar stools and broke the back of it. With epic finality. I am considering just hack sawing the tops off of all of the them and calling them a matched set.


Mathew realized his three year dream to run the audio booth at the school play. It was a proud moment. He was speechless when he opened up his "Break a leg buddy" gift and received his 6th flashlight in a row. The kid just wants a bag of Kit Kats, people. Stop making it so complicated.



We got out our Halloween decorations out and started spooking the place up. The old headless Barbies are always a hit.


We waited for our share of Hurricane Matthew to pass and put up our favorite door monster.



And speaking of Halloween, the girls have decided that they would like to be birds this year. They love to pretend they are animals all the time. The have family feuds and host fox marriages and wolf funerals on the regular.

I think bird costumes would be a good investment for our future make believe sessions.

And they even provided blueprints!


And a google image. Just in case I wasn't clear on their expectations.


I talked to each one of my birdies and they told me what colors they most wanted their wings to be.

Meg liked the fall colors (like the picture she sent me via airdrop from her ipad....this is a strange new world we are living in). Laney wanted shades of blue, Anna light to dark yellows and Everly said, "ALL WHITE!" I made multiple attempts to sway her to more forgiving colors, but she diplomatically replied, "Maybe next yeaw."  White it is.

 I sniffed out a sale on felt at Jo-ann's and between that and two trips to Hobby Lobby with my 40% off coupon, I was ready to get started.

My opportunity came on Friday when Everly woke up with a low grade fever and effectively cancelled all of our plans for the day. It seemed like the perfect time to sit down and cut out 23, 000 felt feathers.

And watch a couple dozen episodes of Elementary.

After tackling Megan's, I've decided she has really long arms. Her wingspan was impressive.


Anna had asked for light to dark shades of yellow, but one of the shades was really bright and obnoxious, so we decided on grey as a contrast. I love how it turned out!


Laney's wings had the same problem. One of the blues was too....BLUE. So grey it is! Love it!


And wouldn't you know it....Everly's white wings just popped with Laney's missing BLUE and another stripe of our signature grey. She was very happy with her "Magical snow goose wings".  And I was very happy that her arms are so short.

But the best part was how excited they were to BE BIRDS,

They flapped and danced and went to show the neighbors.




Totally worth it! It's going to be a great Halloween! 2016 is going to be a killer year for the Hufford chics.

No comments:

Post a Comment