Sunday, November 27, 2011

Time to decorate

So, as I have said many times before...decorating the tree, I feel, is one of the best things about Christmas. I love all the funky, school-craft ornaments that come home. The ones that Mark and I both brought with us from childhood and the kid's own ornaments that they have picked out each year.  I try really hard to quell my inner coordinator and allow them to choose the ones that they love...which is why we have a sparkly brown armadillo hanging quite lovingly from one of the upper branches.

This is our first Christmas in this house, so we decided to put the tree up in the "dining room". For one, there is no dining of any kind taking place there...unless you count the contraban cookies I greedily consume when I cut through there at night on my way from the pantry to the computer after everyone goes to sleep. The floor in there isn't as squeaky and I decrease my chances of getting busted if I go that way. Also, it has a window that faces the front and I love a good sparkly tree seen from the road.


We tried to get the ornaments out in an orderly manner, but Anna wasn't really feelin it.


So then we started whipping them out and slapping them up all willy nilly. There were hands everywhere!


I think it took a couple years off my life.

Mark hurried up the step stool and secured the star.



In the end, Anna started to see the tree as her own personal plaything and she cheered right up.


I asked her very calmly if she would be gentle with the crown ornament..as it was a Three Kings gift from a good friend. I thought I handled the situation with finesse.

She very patiently replied, "Mom...I was only going to lick it. Chill."


And so it begins.  (Is that a blue T-Rex ornament I see by her knee? Doesn't that look better up by the armadillo?)

1 comment: