Thursday, October 6, 2011

Forgiveness and a Baptism

I can tell you exactly why I haven't been blogging lately.

It's a combination of being ridiculously busy (moving....again....) and knowing that the next post was all about my sweet Mathew's baptism. It's hard for me to approach a subject like that without over analyzing because I want the "future Mathew" to know how much I love him and really get a sense for how important and happy this event was for our family.

So I keep putting it off.

But I promised my friend this morning (whoops...that promise was over a week ago...promises shmomises) that I would end the blog-fast tonight, so I'm sitting down with my trusty laptop and I'm ready to remember the love we all felt on Mathew's special day. And then I will give myself permission to move on to other matters. It's possible I will be skipping over things. Although not likely. I am nothing if not a born in the wool rule-following chronological blogger. Heaven help me.


First of all, I have to say how much I appreciated my mom and my sister driving from Utah to be there for Mathew. Mark's parents drove up from Arkansas and completed the circle of love for him. I am not exaggerating to say that he LOVED that you guys were there for him. You made it just perfect. Thank you!

Mathew chose me to give the talk on Baptism. It was short and slightly incoherent. There is a reason mothers aren't usually asked to do that. I was a bit of a mess. Luckily, he asked Grandma Kathleen to give the the talk on the Holy Ghost and she hit it out of the park. I loved it. It involved a great story about lying to my Grandmother until a few chickens died of starvation. Ask me sometime.


Playing piano with Grandma Jean


And even though we were still feeling pretty new in the ward and hadn't done the best job of announcing it to our fellow ward members, there were many awesome people who showed up and gave us lots of love and support. 



I spy with my little eye: the Sirois', the Gammons, the Flynns, the Clarkes,  the Guenthers, Julia McClauley and the Murphys. SALT OF THE EARTH.

Charlie, Meg and Addie. 


Mathew's primary teacher, Natalie Horspool came (she's the best) and showered him with love.  


And then he danced with the females in his primary class outside the font. One in each hand. That's m' boy.

And then it was time to head home. We said our goodbye's. My sweet friend, Brittany, showered me with love and does as she always does....made me feel like a million bucks and a better person. 
How do you like our mirror body language? I laughed when I saw this photo. 

I was so relieved that everything went okay, that I forgot to wait for my mom and sister to follow me home from the church. I left them in the dust. Thank heavens they have such good memories. 



That evening Mark and the boys hung out with Grandpa Joe and Grandma Jean and played a little guitar. 


The rest of us went for a walk down to Indian Creek Trail to see the magical fireflies. I think it's safe to say it was both HOT



and HUMID.


So, now I ask you all to forgive my absence. I will try to do better with my writing and recording the things that take place in our family. Mathew did get baptized and it was a wonderful day for all of us. We felt the spirit there and we felt the love and care of our families and our new friends.  I am grateful for the kindness of the Lord and for all his blessings. 


2 comments:

  1. Yay! for Mathew, and Yay! you're back to bloggin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WELCOME BACK! Oh, I love this post. I love the way you write. I love the way you carefully select each word to express how much you love your family.

    Maren, you're the best. Love you :)

    ReplyDelete