Sunday, October 9, 2011

Anybody need to hire a "Fine Arts" Graduate?

Today was FAST SUNDAY.

That's 24 hours without food or drink. It's an opportunity to focus on more important things than what I can put in my mouth next. We (the fam) decided to fast for Lisa Irwin today. My heart is breaking for that little baby. Fasting for her made it not so hard to stop eating today. I'd do anything to get that little baby back with her mama.

Now that Mathew is 8, he has joined the fasting members of the the household. It can be hard on a kid. It's a long time to go without food and after a few hours, the saltines start looking so delicious. I mean, by 2 pm, you might start wondering why you've never noticed how light and flaky and perfectly salty they are.

One of the great things about going to church from 2 to 5 pm is that it really helps you to "go the distance" when it comes to fasting. When we used to get out of church at 2, we would often find ourselves having dinner at 4 o'clock.

Today when we got home from church, I whipped up some breakfast burritos for dinner. It was then that I realized that something major has changed with my family. I used to make a meal and end up putting most of it in the fridge as leftovers 20 minutes later. I would often wonder how my kids could survive on so little food. Today I used 14 eggs, a package of link sausage, half a brick of colby jack and an entire package of flour tortillas and my kids were licking their plates and asking for more. I looked over at the table in amazement and I imagined them in 7 years when their appetites have grown exponentially larger and it occurred to me that perhaps I should start looking for part time work. I mean we already put down 8 gallons of milk a week. Where do you go from there?

3 comments:

  1. I'm telling you, I feel your pain. Granted, I don't have 5...but I think Bradley might just make up for one or two or your kids...lol. I don't know where he puts it all! As far as your milk situation, unbelievable. When we were teenagers - mom used to buy 15 gallons/week...if that gives you any idea of where you're headed. Thankfully my kids didn't get the milk addiction gene...it was saved for Mark's offspring. Can I swing by for a breakfast burrito? Sounds so good right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! I love your posts! Thanks for always setting a great example for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, 8 gallons of milk? Woah. I think we've had the same gallon in our fridge for a few ... weeks. Ew.

    I'd love to know how Matthew understands fasting! He did such a great job sharing his testimony!

    ReplyDelete