Saturday, July 11, 2020

Missouri Road Trip...Johnson Shut-ins

We woke up early this morning so we could get to the Shut-ins by 8, right when they opened. We heard that they only let 100 cars in to the park at a time, so we wanted to be sure to snag a spot.

6:30 am when you are on vacation counts as 4:30 am anywhere else....



We were operating as a well-oiled machine and we were out the door at 7:30 sharp!  We were the proud recipients of #9....booyah.

(#9 ticket pic)

The park was established and clean and really beautiful.


We grabbed our life jackets, a water bottle and headed down to find the shut-ins.





The shut-ins are so cool.  Because it's mid-July, the water if very low and it was easy to maneuver between the rocks and through the pools. I'm not sure how we would do it during June. I get twinges of fear just thinking about it!


The kids got right to it. They clambered down and started exploring the pools and passageways.




Mathew found a spot where he could jump down into a deep pool of water. In true mom fashion, I was totally freaked out and I took a video and cheered for him. It's what we do.



We eventually made our way down to through a natural canal and to some great rocks that were perfect for cliff jumping. Mathew and Larrin were in heaven.



This higher spot Mathew was jumping off of was set back in the rocks quite a bit. It required you really launch yourself out and towards a deep area of water.




Aim was really important.



I admit, there were a couple times I was super nervous about how precise they needed to be when jumping off. I didn't want to call Mark with the news that Mathew had missed his landing and would no longer be using his legs.

Anna really wanted to jump. She climbed up a couple times and stared into the water.



I knew she would do it eventually. She just has that drive to be daring.



Laney went for it too!



Mathew and Larrin climbed up and had a timely conversation about how to create the biggest splash.



Before too long, it started getting really crowded and there were teenagers climbing to sickening and restricted heights to jump off. I honestly couldn't stick around to watch. I don't want to see someone hurt themselves just to impress their friends. Besides, we were sunbaked and starving. It was time to head back and whip up our corn dogs and Shells and White Cheddar. We pulled in to the bungalow and the girls ended up hopping right out of the car and into the little pool in the center of the property. Mathew and Megan went in and fixed the lunch while I kept my eyes on the littles. Not a bad gig, sitting on the big porch and playing a bit of sudoku, chatting with the Wadas.



Eventually they all gave in and we went in for movie and nap time. And would you believe it...I GOT A NAP.  And actual-totally-asleep-had-a-dream....nap. The kids eventually came in to check my pulse. I think the kids watched two movies while I was out.

We popped on our shoes and headed over to Thee Abbey Kitchen for some dinner. I'm not gonna lie. It was pure pandemonium. The kids were everywhere, everyone was starving, conversations and questions and decisions over the menu....and the poor waitress was on her first day. Poor thing. It took us forever to get our food and even then it came out in waves. Anna got hers just as the rest of the kids were finishing up.




Look at the poor waitress's face....that says it all.



Megan was overstimulated and battling some anxiety. She found an old piano near the restroom and got a little music therapy.



But, you know, it was still so fun! The Wadas are very easy to be with. The kids are rambunctious, but not irritating. They are kind and chill parents and I like spending time with them. They laugh at the absurdities of predicaments and I love that. What else is there to do? Get mad? What's the point?
They are great travel buddies.



When it was time for the check, I am not exaggerating, the waitress brought us no less that 4 versions that were incorrect. Missing items, extra items, duplicate items, items we ordered but they never brought out. It was kind of funny...I would have laughed, but I think that poor girl would have started crying. She was not having her best day. Eventually a more experienced waitress helped sort us out and we were able to pay the bill.

We walked across the hall and got some ice cream for the kids. I grabbed a loaf of bread and a massive cinnamon roll to take home to Mark and Ethan. I also got my apron! Oh...and they had this cool antique bread slicing machine...we couldn't resist.



Back to the bungalow and, you guessed it, more swimming! Their energy knows no bounds.



Tomorrow we get up and hike around Elephant Rocks. Then we drive back home and give Mark and Ethan a squeeze!!



No comments:

Post a Comment