Sunday, November 11, 2018

Kylie is Official

She was set apart tonight.

She's a missionary. And she's leaving soon and she's gonna be great. We've had a roller coaster couple of weeks with her. We went to the temple as she took out her endowments. I'll never forget her face. She was scared. She was completely turned upside down by everything she was experiencing. I remember looking over at her and she mouthed "what is this?" to me and I mouthed back "It's okay. Just breathe. It's okay."

And her tears in the celestial room. She went there expecting peace and she was met with unfamiliarity and strangeness.

Oh boy. I can definitely relate. What comfort level I feel at the temple has been gained "line upon line"....I have fought and cried for every inch.

So we have spent the last weeks talking and talking and talking. We went back to the temple again. Without everyone looking at her and needing her to feel any particular way. We talked about the symbolism. We talked about everything she knows now that she didn't always know. And that is the way the temple works too. There is so much to learn. And learning it changes the way you see it and experience it.

And then tonight.

Mark and I left to attend her setting apart. As we were leaving, Ethan was just getting home from work. He was headed down to shower and we said goodbye. Something nagged at me that he should come with us. But I told myself that it wasn't my place to invite anyone to this.

We arrived and went into the Stake President's office and he began. the whole Flynn family was buzzing with nervousness and excitement. As he was speaking, Kylie kind of zoned out. It was obvious that she wasn't listening to him. And then she suddenly stopped and she said, "I'm sorry. This isn't right. Ethan needs to be here." I cry every time I think of her saying that. She was right and I knew it. She was brave enough to say it.

President Boyack stopped. And I jumped out of that room and called Ethan. He was just out of the shower and I told him he needed to come down as fast as he could. And in 8 minutes, he was sitting there with us...hair dripping.

See? Crying again.

I don't know the future. I don't know why that happened. But I am grateful it did. I am grateful for the Spirit that comes rushing back to me when I think of that night.


See you in a flash, Sister Flynn.

No comments:

Post a Comment