Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Let's do 42

I'm not sure I expected a whole lot from this birthday. I mean, it's on a Tuesday. What can we can we do on a Tuesday? In February? 

I'll tell you what. I woke up to breakfast smells at 4:30 AM. Mathew had got himself up and was making me a HuffMuffin before he left for early morning seminary. 

Now, seriously. 

Isn't that just something?


About an hour later, Mark was home from the gym and putting together a 4-layer chocolate and vanilla cake with some especially fantastic chocolate/almond buttercream frosting. I asked him to put it in the garage fridge so that I didn't do something I'd regret before the birthday dinner.


Everyone headed off to work and school and I had a few minutes to go shopping at a couple thrift stores.. one of my very favorite things to do! I found a cute stripey grey (of course) shirt and a couple fun pairs of earrings for under 10 bucks....Happy Birthday to me!

Mari picked up Everly from preschool and told me to meet her at Carmen's Cocina for a yummy lunch. When I walked in, I realized she had invited several friends to come and celebrate with us. Regina Sirois, Lauren Terry, Jozianne Bartholomew, Heather Jensen, and Gina Hoffman all came to eat and chat.

After lunch, I went to go treat myself to a car wash, since my brown minivan used to be white. Mari texted and offered to have Everly come play so I dropped her off on my way back and went home to take a quick nap. I'm not quite over last week's flu. I had no idea how painful sinus pressure can be! ouch.

We completed our extensive 'pick em all up from school' parade and soon we were home and Anna began work on her life size birthday homage.


My four layer birthday creation!



Lighting the candles....a two man job.


Watch the video, kids. It took a solid minute to get all of these lit. (It's somewhere in the family files...or google photo...which probably won't be a thing by the time you are reading this and care to look)


So much warmth put off by the flames!




Every try to blow out a small brush fire? Not easy.


But, oh, the rich rewards.


Here's what I loved about today:

1. Mathew's thoughtful breakfast
2. Mark going all out to make a showstopper cake
3. Talking to my sisters and feeling the love of being remembered
4. Having a nice chat with my mom and laughing about trying to get the card in the mail on time. 
5. Tacos with fun ladies
6. Gifts left on the porch and dropped off throughout the day from kind and generous friends. A Secret Garden book, cute little potted succulents, chocolate bars and citrus soaps. earrings and mittens and best of all...cards full of love and friendship.   
7. Beautiful tulips for the table
8. Original streamer decor by Mathew
9. A dozen roses from Ethan, chosen because they reminded him of Dad's favorite peace rose.
10. A delicious meatloaf dinner with my whole family. 
11. Brand new work out clothes!
12. A one of a kind family portrait made by Anna and given by Everly. And don't forget the ceramic unicorn made by Laney, given to Anna, then given to Everly who gave it to me. It's practically and heirloom at this point. 
13. Everly's shoebox gift with all her pennies taped to the top.
14. Anna's super duper long birthday card. She worked on it so long and kept yelling at me, "Don't look over here!"
15. Lots of hugs and loves from my kids.
16. Sitting around the table and playing one of our many alphabet dinnertime games. 








No comments:

Post a Comment