Friday, July 21, 2017

Everly Oral Surgery

We worked hard to get to today.

Everly's MCADD comes with some pretty cruddy side effects. One of them is that she has to eat frequently through the night, so her teeth are much more prone to cavities. 

This last check up she had ELEVEN

And three of them really needed root canals and silver caps. We started to do the work little by little at the dentist office, but she was crying in pain and I can honestly say that I will NEVER sit through that again. 

Never. 

It took me six hours for my ears to stop ringing, I was so upset. 

So we decided that we needed to get the work done all at once and put her under. 

Then we found out that the anesthesiologist would be using Propofol to sedate her. She can't have that because it is lipid based. So when we tried to discuss the approved alternatives, she decided that she wouldn't do it. That left us to try to have Dr. Prater do the surgery in a hospital setting.

He was NOT HAPPY.

The surgery got delayed several times because of missing paperwork or miscommunication on the hospital's side. We did everything we could to meet the requirements...even running into a walk-in clinic for a same day physical.

By the time she was approved, we were a wreck and Dr. Prater vowed he'd never work in a hospital again. He made sure to repeat that to me several times. 

But, that's just tough. This girl needs her teeth fixed and we needed to get in there, no matter how irritated we all are.

Watching them wheel her away was awful. I wanted to go with her so bad. It was unimaginable to me that she would be in a room with strangers and about to be sedated.


The surgery lasted for 3 hours.

3 eternal hours.

And then the finally brought her to me and I got to hold her in my arms and feel her even breathing.



And now she has silver teeth and she likes that just fine!


As for Dr. Prater, he has since reminded me half a dozen times how big a hassle that was and how he'll never ever do that for a patient again. I nod and smile and think to myself, "Well, sir. Perhaps she will not be your patient for much longer. And she'll take her 5 siblings with her!"

No comments:

Post a Comment