Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Two Wheels

We purchased a balance bike for Laney not long ago. It's a little bike that has no pedals and the idea behind it is that the child naturally learns to balance as she pushes herself around and gets more and more comfortable coasting along. They aren't afraid because they are lower to the ground and can easily catch themselves with their feet if they feel nervous. It's pretty ingenious.

Once Laney mastered the balance bike, I figured we would move on to her regular bike sans the training wheels. 

I figured wrong. 

She was NOT excited about the idea. 

I had to bribe her and challenge her to get her to even do a couple laps around the cul de sac.  

I bartered for extra time on the computer and even promised to make her treats if she would give me just one more lap. 


She would usually say, "I am NOT doing that."

And if by some miracle I managed to get her on the bike an down the street, invariably she would dissolve into tears midway and refuse to ride home.

Finally I ended up bringing her bike to the school and showed up with my bike to pick her up. She had no choice. There was only one way to get home and by the time we made it there, she had worked out most of the kinks and had gained her confidence.

Now she's a two-wheeler!


No comments:

Post a Comment