Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Things are growing...

A few weeks ago we started popping things in the ground.

A few onions....

A handful of peas...
A bit of lettuce, spinach and arugula...

But first I got to break in my Christmas/Birthday present.

I give you....the Mantis.


It was vundabar! And it made short work of combining last year's compost deliciousness with winterized raised beds. Gone are the days of turning the soil with the shovel. (hooray, Mantis!)

And now all risk of frost is gone and we get to do the good stuff.

We traditionally do 4 tomato plants a year: one Early Girl, one Better Boy, one Husky Cherry, and then we pick something different, whatever strikes our fancy! This year? The SUPER FANTASTIC! I know. Whoever named this tomato was really excited and, you know me, I'm all for vegetable enthusiasm.

We chose a new variety of pole bean. Here's hoping it's not nasty and stringy like last year's crop (patooie!)

A row of Straight Eight cucumbers, one jalepeno, one Anaheim, and one Green bell pepper.

A little patch of carrots, due solely to Ethan's pleading, and a patch of beets. I haven't planted beets since I was considered 1/7th of the child labor force back in Payson. We'll see how it goes. Do you have to pickle a beet? Or can you just cook 'em up?

The only thing more riveting than my blow by blow account of planting my garden is the photos of them lying so snuggly in their little dirt beds.


Meggy's herb garden. See?

Riveting!

2 comments:

  1. Once again, JEALOUS. My garden this year consists of one lonely tomato plant that I'm sure I will kill by forgetting to water, unless Elle will her new digging obsession get it first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. our garden is still up in,fruit plants, and weeds.

    ReplyDelete