Saturday, November 7, 2020

Mathew...patience rewarded

I'm a natural procrastinator...it's one of my spiritual gifts. 

But even this was going a bit far. 

Mathew completed his Eagle Board of Review on December 19, 2019. 

That was almost 10 months ago!!! 10 Months! Three hundred and twenty-four days.

My land, that's got to be a record or something. 

In my defense, we did witness the rise of a global pandemic. And if it had started a bit sooner, I'd be running with that. But as it is, I can only claim that this one almost got away from me. As we were driving to church last Sunday, it occurred to me that if we didn't get our ducks in a row,  the weather would turn cold, then it would be December (it's not allowed to plan additional events in December), then Mathew would graduate and then he'd be off to school.....driving away, crying tears of sadness that his lam-o parents never even bothered to make a batch of cupcakes in honor of his hard earned Eagle award. 

I think these thoughts all the time. 

Well, dang. 

We needed to get our buns in gear and make it happen. 

The weather looked like perfection for the very next Saturday...we can do it!

We contacted old scoutmasters and invited our close friends. I took a trip to the Eagle scout store and found a plaque to have engraved with his name. The friendly man at the shop even convinced my to buy the gold plated eagle scout pen. 

We planned a menu...Mathew's main request (besides a hard push for pizza rolls) was that it not resemble Ethan's refreshments at his court of honor. As a fourth child, I understand the primal need younger siblings have to break free of all things "hand me down". Not that that stopped me from digging Lara's sweaters out of the trash on a regular basis.

Anywho....

The day arrived! 

We set everything up in the backyard, so as to mitigate the spread of possible killer viruses. (Have I mentioned how much I hate the coronavirus?? It's a total butt.)



Mark arranged the water bottles into a patriotic star...pretty cute, yeah?

And how about this easy peasy flag tray? That's WAY yummier that tomatoes and string cheese, or red peppers and cauliflower, or strawberry jam and alfredo sauce. (I'm not wrong.)

 

Alisa Wada offered to make the cupcakes. And every single person there was glad she did because that girl is truly gifted. 


Martin Guenther did the welcome, all while keeping that flag from being blown over....again. 

Mathew gave the scout oath and law

Mark pinning on his eagle award:


Bruce Hurst, replacing his old scarf with his new, niftier one....while trying not to accidentally punch him in the face. (It happens more than you'd think!)


Mom pin time! Look at my cute tall boy!



And a very well-deserved dad pin. He's the one that really he helped push him over that finish line!



Mathew shared his gratitude for everyone there and took the opportunity to recognize several people that really kept him going when his motivation started to run thin. He was so well spoken and gracious! I was so proud of him!


He even gave Ethan a shout-out for helping him over the years...especially letting him borrow his socks, lol.

Now, look at that great photo! That's a keeper!


What a happy day! I think he felted loved a special. It was just his style and I'm so glad we stopped to recognize what a great kid he is and how proud we are of him.

Our two Eagle Scouts!


He's cool. 

Eagle Scout Cool.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment