Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Why is it?

In the springtime the dandelions come out. When I see those distinctive leaves pop up in my lawn I curse the day that the little fluffy seed landed in that very spot the year before. My first instinct is to reach down and carefully gather up the fan of leaves and get my hands right down there next to the root and pull ever so carefully so that the entire root comes out of the ground. Complete annihilation is the goal. 

On the other hand, when the girls and I are out riding our bikes, they feel absolutely compelled to stop and admire the beautiful yellow blooms. And to gather as many as possible. I marvel at how fresh and bright they look when they are in a field and we see them from a distance. It's like a solid carpet of yellow. 

 Up close they have square petals! They really are cute, charming warm little flowers. 


So why do we feel the desire to poison them? Who decided that they should be destroyed instead of sold by the flat in the nursery?

No comments:

Post a Comment