Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Laney turns 2

Sunday was Laney's 2nd birthday. This is our "family party year" so we celebrated together at home. I love "family party year". I get to enjoy splurging on my child without the added stress of trying to come up with acceptable goodie bags.

Laney woke up to a bed o' balloons. Some would view this as a strangulation hazard. We view it as a whole lotta fun.

She said "buhlOONS!" and got right to work whipping them around into a tangled mess. It was just what I was hoping for.

We went right into breakfast and by the time I got to the table I was reminded of my "impulse goggle purchase" of the night before.


They contributed mightily to excessively reverent scripture study.

After a plateful of blueberries and strawberries, we all dressed for Stake Conference and headed out. I think having Daylight Savings land on your birthday is like having the Universe slap you in the face. Tough luck, Laney.

Mark was sickety sicko, so stayed behind. This was a tragedy in that I was on my own with four kids, metal chairs, no cheerios, 25 colored pencils that I forgot to sharpen, and two hours of meetings. If it weren't for the lady behind me that took pity on my soul and provided several "lift the flap" books for Laney to peruse, we absolutely would have not made it. I promise you I had my diaper bag hastily packed, slung over my shoulder and whispered to the other kids "come on! follow me!" no less that three times. But somehow managed each time to plant my hiney back in the chair, breathe deeply and forge ahead. I'd like a certificate or cash prize, por favor.

But on the bright side, Mark had the spaghetti and garlic bread ready and waiting when we arrived home. It was a lovely sight to behold. And Mark doesn't skimp on the the butter and garlic. Wait, is it my birthday? mmm....butter.


After all the bellies were fed, we brought out the cake and sang to our sweet Laney. She was feelin the love (as seen in video below). But when it came time to blow out the candle, she couldn't quite get it and we watched in suspense as she tried and tried. When she finally did it, we all cheered so loud, she got scared and started to cry. Happy Birthday!

After the drama, she was ready to have a few quiet moments with her chocolate.


The presents were almost entirely Thomas the Tank engine gear and she couldn't have been more thrilled.


I can't get enough of the look on her face as she realizes this cake is for her and she soaks in the attention. Love it. Love her.



My little Miss Laney. I love you (and so does your Dad!) and I think you are the sassiest, smartest little sugar beet on the planet. Happy Birthday, fuzzbucket.

6 comments:

  1. Time just goes too fast. Can't believe Laney Bug is 2 already!! Happy Birthday sweet girl! Love the bed-o-balloons, btw. Could you arrange that for me on my 36th? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so very cute Maren. I really miss that age. I could just take her and squeeze her and kiss, kiss, kiss her. But then I might scare her and you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've shamelessly left church meetings early because I packed poorly. Ans my kids have done more than their share of eating the snacks and reading the books other (better)parents thought to pack for church.
    Glad Laney's bday was a success. Cake turned out really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and thank you for posting something else. Your dental post was haunting me every time I looked at your blog. I'm still actively denying the need to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maren, I am thankful that Laney's birthday was just before Addison's so I can steal your balloon idea! Addi is obsessed with balloons...that is an understatement, she has injured herself in Walmart before trying to reach a balloon that was on the ceiling...she can spot a balloon from a mile away and will not blink until she has obtained it. I am so excited to have balloons in her bed waiting for her to wake up to. Thank you! And now I feel terrible for not helping you during stake conference, we were a row in front and a few chairs over, every time I heard Laney scream I turned to see if you needed someone to sit with the rest of the kids, but you were so on top of it that you were already halfway out the door. :) I agree that you deserve a prize for sticking it out alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maren,
    How cute of a birthday! I had no clue that Noah and Laney were so close in age. We should get them together to play one of these days.

    ReplyDelete