Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Work with me, Doctor!

Okay, so last Friday Laney had her dreaded 4 month appointment for shots and a checkup. We had planned for Ethan, Mat and Meg to be at a day camp provided by one of the girls in the ward, but because we had a bit of pink eye, I had all 4 with me at the doctor's office that morning. As you can imagine, there was a great deal of "Hey, look at that" and "What does a fishy say?" and "Keep your hands of him/her" and "5...4...3....2..." and "(the sound of me deep breathing)". Eventually we get into the actual examination room. After negotiating where each child will sit and who gets to look at the one "Bible stories" book that is always there, we wait for the doctor. Suddenly Mat needs to go potty. We (the five of us) wander out to find the facilities and Mat goes in. Then Meg starts the piddle dance and we try to convince Mathew to hurry up...just as I hear Dr. Davis enter our exam room and wonder out loud where everone is. I'm trying to hustle Meg through the unbendable process that she has developed for going to the potty.
Back in the exam room, Dr. Davis starts to inquire after Laney's eating/pooping habits. Mathew brought his orange Vtech digital camera and he is taking photos of Dr. Davis as he is trying to give Laney her exam. The flashes are coming at a rapid pace. Ethan is no shrinking violet and has to have his say. He is telling the doctor all about his last horse show in a very loud voice. Meg has commandeered his swivel chair. Now you'll see why we go to Dr. Davis....he is a dad. He manages to carry on a conversation with me, show due fascination in Ethan's accomplishments and give Mathew several poses. He tells Laney that she needs to sleep more, mentions how cute her clothes are and aren't her eyes so very blue! Proclaims her absolutely healthy and gives me a smile of sympathy and encouragement before he's on the next patient. He never even asked Megan for his chair back. And to my credit...I never once collapsed in tears.
After Laney got her shots and she was crying, Mathew started singing "I Love to See the Temple" to calm her down. Ethan and Megan joined in. They were singing in a soft whisper and I thought it was one of the sweetest things I've ever seen my kids do. They were worried about their baby sis.
Why is it that babies are always extremely happy the morning of shots? They are laughing and cooing and making all sorts of developmental breakthroughs...then Wham!! Stabbed in the thigh! Then its a fever for two days and the long process of convincing her I can be trusted. Until she's six months old....

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely HATE HATE HATE any kind of needle-work on babies. JT has had more than his share since he always seems to be sick with something. And this move has postponed his 12-month shots until we get to Washington. Lucky boy. :(

    ReplyDelete